Width Resize

Candycane

Width Resize

Postby Candycane » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:29 am

I have used the .NET API to detect the device, but now I'm not sure on how I should use this information to create the web page according to the width of the device. I have the page designed on a 600px width with positions and control widths. I would like to resize these controls and change positions according to the device currently viewing the page. Are there any guidelines to follow for this type of development? Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Candice

sm_support2

Re: Width Resize

Postby sm_support2 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:37 pm

Candy, this question is rather far from the one we usually manage here (WURFL related).
Ti make things worse, it's incredibly generic. The only generic answer I can thing of is that making a fully fledged web site fit into a mobile device will cause a lot of frustration and the results are unlikely to be good from a UX perspective.

Candycane

Postby Candycane » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:14 am

Hi

Thanks for your input, it is a very generic question. What is happening is we have an application where a person can design how they want the screen to look like for a particular service on the iPad, but now our boss wants a WAP site for this as well. I think I'm going to have to try and implement some sort of liquid layout for the dynamic screen creation for smaller device screens. I'm more of a software (products) developer than a website developer, but I'm the one that has been given this task to implement.

Thanks again.
Candice

luca.passani

Postby luca.passani » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:20 am

it seems to be one of those cases where you need to educate your boss that things are not as simple as he assumes. Actual difficulty level depends on the boss :)

Candycane

Postby Candycane » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:56 am

Definately :)