My account indicates many more detections than I have used.

Questions about the WURFL Cloud service.
nexus

My account indicates many more detections than I have used.

Postby nexus » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:03 pm

Hi there,

I just signed up for your free account today for testing. It's looking very good so far with one exception: the number of detections, according to your FAQ, should be one per unique device per day, but my account is showing hundreds already. I am the only person who knows where my testing page is, since I just created it. I've only used three devices to hit it today but the number of detections shown in my account is over 300.

Any ideas how I can get this fixed? I'd love to keep using your service as a paying customer, but the detection numbers need to be correct first. Please help!

Thanks! :)

Bill

kamermans

Re: My account indicates many more detections than I have us

Postby kamermans » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:28 pm

Hi Bill,

There must be something strange going on here. I will take a look at your traffic and see what is causing the traffic. Is it possible that there is a load balancer or some other health monitor pinging your site or something?
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
ScientiaMobile

Make sure you check out our WURFL Cloud, WURFL InSight and WURFL InFuze products!

nexus

Postby nexus » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply. There should not be anything hitting the pages from which I'm running queries except my few devices when testing. In case it matters, I am using .htaccess to parse .css files as PHP, and tailoring the CSS output to the device in those PHP files. I am also running queries in the main testing page that includes these CSS files in its head.

Thanks!

kamermans

Postby kamermans » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:57 pm

The traffic is coming from three devices: Galaxy S3, iPad and Chrome on Mac OS X. For some reason, caching is not working properly on your account. You are using the PHP WURFL Cloud Client, which uses cookie caching by default, although it can be disabled. Can you please verify that you have not disabled the cache for testing? If you post your code showing how you are using the client, I can tell you if it's enabled. If caching is enabled, it's possible that your application is overwriting the cookie that is being set by the cloud client, or perhaps $_COOKIE is being cleared before the cloud client can evaluate it (possible by Apache?).
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
ScientiaMobile

Make sure you check out our WURFL Cloud, WURFL InSight and WURFL InFuze products!

nexus

Postby nexus » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:20 pm

Yes, those are the three devices. I just noticed something that might have something to do with the problem: in my root .htaccess I have the following:

<FilesMatch "\.(css)$">
Header set Cache-Control "max-age=43200, s-maxage=43200, proxy-revalidate"
</FilesMatch>

As I mentioned, I am doing queries on your system from within a PHP file that is pretending to be a CSS file. I suppose I could overwrite the above in the local .htaccess but I'm not sure how I would do that such that it would override the root cache setting. I have not disabled the cache knowingly.

Here's the code I'm using within the PHP-CSS file:

Code: Select all

require_once '/web/sites/mydomain.com/wurfl/Client/Client.php';  
$config = new WurflCloud_Client_Config();   
$config->api_key = 'my_key';   
$client = new WurflCloud_Client_Client($config);  
$client->detectDevice();  

header('Content-Type: text/css;charset=utf-8');

// Use the capabilities  
if ($client->getDeviceCapability('is_wireless_device')) { 

if ($client->getDeviceCapability('device_os')!="Android")
{
# Echo some non-Android CSS here
}
elseif ($client->getDeviceCapability('device_os')=="Android")
{
# Echo some Android CSS here
}

}

else {  
# Fallback CSS here
}
Last edited by kamermans on Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added code tags

kamermans

Postby kamermans » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:46 pm

I don't think the cache control would cause problems. Perhaps you have output buffering in PHP disabled, and so the command that sends the cookie cache is failing. This, combined with display_errors turned off would silently fail. Can you see the HTTP headers that are being sent from your server when you request a CSS file? If you send me a private message with your URL, I can also test it from here.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
ScientiaMobile

nexus

Postby nexus » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:26 pm

I sent you a PM on Saturday with my URL. Please let me know if you need any other info from me. Thanks for your help!

kamermans

Postby kamermans » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:37 pm

Sorry about that - somehow I didn't see the notification! I'm looking at it now.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
ScientiaMobile