cloud client, client cache and detections - how it work?

Questions about the WURFL Cloud service.
zorkus

cloud client, client cache and detections - how it work?

Postby zorkus » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:59 pm

Hi,

I am trying to understand how device detections are counted.

I have a service with a small subset of web pages for which I need to provide display size for javascript part.

My workflow looks like this:

1. Mobile browser sends requests for a page.
2. As part pf request processing I run python code as stated on http://www.scientiamobile.com/wurflClou ... ngStarted/ from my python web server passing UA of mobile browser.
3. I receive my capabilities from WURFL cloud and generate a HTML page for mobile browser.

I looked at the forum but I cannot figure out how number of detections is increased. It is stated that Cloud uses client (mobile browser in my case?) cookies to check if "visitor" is new in last 24 hours. If visitor is new then number of detections increases.

But I do not pass any cookie received from mobile browser to WURFL cloud in my workflow.

Can anyone explain me how it is done?

Thanks,
Łukasz

kamermans

Re: cloud client, client cache and detections - how it work?

Postby kamermans » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:58 pm

Hi,

In the case of the Python Cloud Client, a file-based caching system is used instead of Cookies since Python is not natively web-aware. Because of this specific implementation, the number of detections is slightly less than that of a Cookie-cache based client. The detections should equal the number of unique user agents during the cache TTL, which defaults to 1 day.

Does this answer your question?
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
ScientiaMobile

Make sure you check out our WURFL Cloud, WURFL InSight and WURFL InFuze products!

zorkus

Re: cloud client, client cache and detections - how it work?

Postby zorkus » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:05 pm

Yes, thank you very much.