How to correctly identify unrecognized useragent

Questions about the WURFL Cloud service.
AdamFox

How to correctly identify unrecognized useragent

Postby AdamFox » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:11 pm

Hi,

What is the correct approach to identify that a useragent is not recognized by the WURFL cloud (i.e. newly introduced device) so as not to incorrectly categorize a device.

Thanks in advance

sriram

Re: How to correctly identify unrecognized useragent

Postby sriram » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:23 pm

Hi AdamFox,

If a UserAgent[UA] is not recognized by WURFL Cloud, please test it here. If it is still not being detected fine, please email us at wurfldb at ourdomainname dot com and we will add it for you ASAP.

If the UA is detected fine at the ScientiaMobile Tools page, please wait for a day or two since you will see this happen when the WURFL Cloud syncs with the main WURFL device repository.

I hope this answers your question,

Cheers!
Sriram Sridharan

AdamFox

Postby AdamFox » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:54 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your answer ... it is more about how to auto detect this situation.

If our service is running realtime and someone accesses our website with a new device that has an unknown useragent ... I would rather have our system identify the device as unknown than falsely categorize it based on is_tablet and is_wireless for example.

Does that make sense?

Thanks again

sm_support2

Postby sm_support2 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:42 pm

AdamFox wrote:Hi,
Thanks for your answer ... it is more about how to auto detect this situation.

If our service is running realtime and someone accesses our website with a new device that has an unknown useragent ... I would rather have our system identify the device as unknown than falsely categorize it based on is_tablet and is_wireless for example.

Does that make sense?
Not really. The way WURFL works is that, in case of an unidentified device, a reasonable default profile is usually found (say Android 4.1 or Windows Phone 8). This allows WURFL to still come up with pretty decent defaults. We pay a lot of attention to this.

While it's theoretically possible that a non tablet is recognized as a tablet, this is very unlikely. In short, if you have evidence of a device that is being mis-categorized, we would love to hear about that. Otherwise, I think WURFL is good enough for you to use.

Thank you

AdamFox

Postby AdamFox » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:56 pm

Ok ... thanks very much