Diffentiating between low-end, mid-level and high-level devi

Questions about the WURFL Cloud service.
kirsten_sekhaolelo

Diffentiating between low-end, mid-level and high-level devi

Postby kirsten_sekhaolelo » Thu May 29, 2014 11:10 am

Hi

What capabalities can I use to distinguish between low-level, mid-level and high-end mobile devices. is_smartphone, ajax_support_javascript, css3 checks like css_rounded_corners and css_gradient_linear and html_preferred_dtd = HTML5 can be of use but they will all give me - to a degree - false positive on devices across the that specified spectrum.
I do not want to go the route of mapping devices and comparing version numbers OS and browsers.
Do you by any chance have a set of capabilities that can help in distinguishing between the 3 sets of devices (low level, mid-level and high-level)?

Thank you.

Elliotfehr

Re: Diffentiating between low-end, mid-level and high-level

Postby Elliotfehr » Thu May 29, 2014 12:56 pm

Hello,

We do not currently support a set of capabilities to distinguish between low level, mid-level, and high-level mobile devices mostly because there is not a definitive way to determine which devices should fall into each category. It is also an area that is highly subjective and would be difficult to define as the market changes. At the moment we support the is_smartphone capability, which will allow you to filter out the devices that do not have such capabilities without returning any false positives.

Thank you,

Elliot

sm_support2

Re: Diffentiating between low-end, mid-level and high-level

Postby sm_support2 » Thu May 29, 2014 1:25 pm

Hi Kirsten,

can you elaborate on your definition of low level, mid level and high level?

also, we would be intrerested to know more about your "false positives".

thank you