Integration with Wowza streaming server

Questions about the WURFL Cloud service.
vbatista

Integration with Wowza streaming server

Postby vbatista » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:38 am

Hi,

I am trying to integrate Wurfl's cloud service with the Wowza streaming server (detect dynamically the streaming capabilities of each device ).
The problem is that Wowza is not a Servlet container, and as such I don't have access to the HTTPServletRequest/Response.
Using Wurfl's Cloud service, how can I obtain the Wurfl device if I only have the User-Agent String?

Thanks and regards,
Victor

fulvio.crivellaro

Re: Integration with Wowza streaming server

Postby fulvio.crivellaro » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:01 am

Hi Victor,
actually it is very important for WURFL Cloud to have access to the HTTP request, since the matching performance does not depend on the user agent string only, but also on several other HTTP headers.
The HttpServletRequest instance, on the other hand, is used only to manage a Cookie based cache (see below for more details).

As I have rapidly seen in the Wowza API, there exist IHttpRequest and IHttpResponse interfaces.
Since HttpServletRequest/Response are interfaces themselves, if you have access to such interfaces, it is quite easy to mirror the methods.

Apart from header methods, if you are using a Cookie cache (notice that if you are a free user, it is the only cache available), you have to manage request::getCookies() and response::setCookie(Cookie) methods, not only to avoid exceptions being thrown, but also to allow the cache to work.

Let me know if you have any problem implementing this, or if for some reason you don't have any access to instances of IHttpRequest and IHttpResponse.

Thanks,
Fulvio

vbatista

Postby vbatista » Sat May 02, 2015 6:51 pm

Hi Fulvio,

Thank you very much for your reply.
I don't think your solution would work. Event if there was a match between the methods of both interfaces (HttpServletRequest and IHttpRequest), how would I tell Wowza to use my new implementation (which would extend actual Wowza implemantation and implement HttpServletRequest)? The same for the response classes.

Even if the above would be possible, most of the methods would have to be null implementations, and in that case, as I don't know Wurfl internal's, the result could be erroneous.

Having said this, let me ask you if it is possible to add a method which returns the device capabilities based on the User agent String?
In my scenario, I could perfectly live without any cache.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Victor

fulvio.crivellaro

Postby fulvio.crivellaro » Mon May 04, 2015 10:12 am

Hi Victor.

What I suggested was to implement a wrapper of HttpServletRequest around the IHTTPRequest coming from Wowza.
I didn't understand from your response if you don't have a reference to an IHTTPRequest at all, or if you have completely discarded this solution for other reasons.

This is a code snippet of what I suggest to impelment:

Code: Select all

class HttpServletWrapper {
	private final IHTTPRequest mRequest;

HttpServletWrapper(IHTTPRequset request) {
		mRequest = request;
	}

public String getHeader(String name) {
		return mRequest.getHeader(name);
	}

// all other stuff...
}
My suggestion is to forward as many methods as possible, since the cloud API could exploit more and more information from the HTTP request in the future.
So far, the mandatory methods we are using are:
  • getHeaderNames()
    getHeader(String name)
    getParameter(String name)
    getRemoteAddr()
As far as I can see from the Wowza documentation here
http://www.wowza.com/resources/serverap ... quest.html
all these methods are available in the IHTTPRequest, so forwarding should be trivial.

Another method we use in the request is getCookies(), but the possibility that a null is returned is managed inside the API.

As for the response, the only method used so far is addCookie(Cookie cookie).
If you are a premium user (please confirm), you can easily disable the cache, and you can simply pass a null as a response reference.
Otherwise, just write a class which implements the HttpServletResponse, having all void methods doing nothing, and all functions returning null or default values, and the Cloud should run smoothly.

Regards,
Fulvio

vbatista

Postby vbatista » Mon May 18, 2015 7:59 am

Hi Fulvio,

We have managed to get a reference to Wowza's IHTTPRequest and we have implemented the wrapper. Null implementation, except for the methods your referred:
getHeaderNames()
getHeader(String name)
getParameter(String name)
getRemoteAddr()

It is working nice!

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
Victor