Licensing and the XML file

Questions about licensing of ScientiaMobile products
bmsterling

Licensing and the XML file

Postby bmsterling » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:09 pm

Hello,
After reading all the licensing information, both in the site and the xml database, I'm having a hard time figuring out what is what.

The gist of what I am trying to do is this, I've created a Wordpress Plugin that includes the WURFL PHP API files and hooks them into some base Wordpress Functionality. Although the API code is compatible with the GPLv3, the XML is not. So the question is, is it against the license to pull in the XML file via CURL one time and use the XML via the API?

Hopefully I am explaining myself correctly. Current version of the plugin is at https://github.com/bmsterling/WURFL-Capabilities (minus the CURL call, the XML file is included there). If even that is against the license, please let me know and I'll pull it down ASAP.

sm_support2

Re: Licensing and the XML file

Postby sm_support2 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:23 pm

The public WURFL XML snapshot can be used legally with our AGPL API. And it is correct to say that GPL v3 and AGPL v3 are compatible.

What may not be so clear is that those who use the plugin are also binding themselves to AGPL, so we can legally demand that they open-source their complete code base. Are you aware of this implication?

Thanks

bmsterling

Postby bmsterling » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:14 pm

Thanks for the reply.
so we can legally demand that they open-source their complete code base
This is where things get unclear to me, I kinda get the idea from a high level perspective. So, if they use the XML via the API (or just the XML) for, say, a Wordpress theme, AGPL says the theme must be open-sourced (Wordpress is already GPLv2)? If that is the case, I think that is fine, I'll just be sure to note that in the readme.

So to clarify, including the PHP API in the code -- in the plugin itself -- is fine?

And as for the XML, I can put the note about the AGPL and point them to pull down the XML file themeselves.

sm_support2

Postby sm_support2 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:30 am

The proper way to do this for your project is to include the AGPL API, while making it absolutely clear in the README file that one of the components (WURFL) comes with the AGPL v3 license and users of the plugin are legally required to open source the complete code base of their full application. Finally, the README should explain how updates to the database can be obtained at the WURFL website (http://wurfl.sourceforge.net) once in a while and from ScientiaMobile, Inc, the owner of WURFL, weekly for commercial customers.

We also recommend that you add the following line: "WURFL is the registered trademark of ScientiaMobile, Inc., Reston, VA, USA"

Thank you for checking with us.

Edit: As of 7/25/16 ScientiaMobile no longer uses AGPL or any other Open Source licensing. Please refer to http://www.scientiamobile.com/page/get- ... elease-1-8 for more information or contact sales.