New capability required: Detect HTML5 support (for url input

Ask... and you may receive!
jhodgski

New capability required: Detect HTML5 support (for url input

Postby jhodgski » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:43 am

Hiya,

I've got a situation which I'm pretty sure must be fairly common...

I want to create a text input so the user can enter a URL. If the device supports HTML5, I want to be able to use type="url" (as, on the iPhone, this brings up a keyboard customised to make URL input easier, etc.).

However, I can't find a WURFL capability that says whether a device supports HTML5?!... Is this capability coming soon, or is hiding somewhere??

If it doesn't exist, does anyone know a workaround so I can provide <input type="url" ... /> where supported by the device?

Cheers,
James

kamermans

Re: New capability required: Detect HTML5 support (for url i

Postby kamermans » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:33 pm

Hi James,

We are closely watching the HTML5 world to see which capabilities we should add to WURFL, but it's not quite as simple as adding "
html5_support = true", since the support is very fragmented. For example, we have a capability for HTML5 Canvas Drawing (canvas_support), but we do not yet have one for HTML Input types.

In the meantime, you should be safe to assume if a device supports HTML5 Canvas Drawing, that it should have good support for HTML5-specific input elements as well. Do you know that type="url" is an HTML5 spec and not just an iPhone feature?
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
ScientiaMobile

Make sure you check out our WURFL Cloud, WURFL InSight and WURFL InFuze products!

jhodgski

Postby jhodgski » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:22 pm

Hiya Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, it's a W3C HTML5 standard...
http://www.w3.org/wiki/HTML/Elements/input/url
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/states-of-th ... #url-state
http://www.w3.org/TR/html-markup/input.url.html

...I was just using iPhone as an example.

I will check out canvas_support. Any idea when new HTML5 capabilities might be coming along?

Cheers,
James

luca.passani

Postby luca.passani » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:43 pm

Hi James,

For the time being, a good alternative could be to look at the device OS and version (for ex: iOS, Android 2.X+, WP 7.5+) and serve input-url to those devices (and a simple text field to everything else).

we will inquiry about how to best model HTML5 forms. We don't want to rush and add something that's too specific, but this feature might be valued by many

Thanks

Luca

w4rumy

Postby w4rumy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:04 am

jhodgski wrote: However, I can't find a WURFL capability that says whether a device supports HTML5?!... Is this capability coming soon, or is hiding somewhere??
Hi jhodgski,

I guess the question is rather about finding out if the browser of the device supports certain HTML5 elements, not the device. It is possible that you can install different browsers on a device, so assigning a "HTML5" capability to a device makes no sense.

html5test.com can detect HTML5 features of a browser, so it is possible to find out if the browser of the device supports <input type="url"> by JavaScript. Maybe it helps you.

sm_support2

Postby sm_support2 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:14 am

We are reviewing which capabilities to add in the future. And having more attention to HTML5 is considered. Of course, there are some challenges, but now that we are a company we can certainly look at them in the face :)

Helping WURFL users optimizing the user-experience is certainly one great usage of WURFL and we intend to support that as much as possible.

Thank you

malik378

Postby malik378 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:49 am

I want to create a text input so the user can enter a URL. If the device supports HTML5, I want to be able to use type="url" (as, on the iPhone, this brings up a keyboard customised to make URL input easier, etc.).

Elliotfehr

Postby Elliotfehr » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:00 pm

kamermans wrote:We are closely watching the HTML5 world to see which capabilities we should add to WURFL, but it's not quite as simple as adding "
html5_support = true", since the support is very fragmented. For example, we have a capability for HTML5 Canvas Drawing (canvas_support), but we do not yet have one for HTML Input types.
Does this answer your question?

Thank you,
Elliot