not decting charset utf-8 for all mobile

Ask... and you may receive!
ashishparande

not decting charset utf-8 for all mobile

Postby ashishparande » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:36 am

Hi,

I am using wurfl to detect mobile device details.
Now I want to show hindi font on mobile device but first I have to detect mobile support it or not. For most of the mobile wurfl gives proper information but as I have checked on NOKIA LUMIA 800 and BLACKBERRY 9220 it shows charset UTF-8 support (xhtml_preferred_charset) but actually these mobile dosent show hindi font, its display square bracket.
Please let me know what should i do to detect exact value of charset.

Thanks,
Ashish Parande

sriram

Re: not decting charset utf-8 for all mobile

Postby sriram » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:25 am

Hi Ashish,

A browser's support for UTF-8 encoding does not automatically mean that the browser supports all UTF charsets. We quickly ran a test with a Lumia 800 that we had laying around. It did successfully display most UTF-8 encoded charsets like Hebrew, Arabic and Cyrillic, it did fail to render indic/Devanagari script. I believe this behaviour is because the MSIE 9 Mobile browser does not come with glyphs for those languages. Here's a quick capture for you(I had to take a photo of the screen since WP7 does not natively support taking screenshots).

To sum up, those devices to support UTF-8 encoding but not all UTF-8 charsets.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks and cheers!
Sriram Sridharan

ashishparande

Postby ashishparande » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:36 am

Hi Sriram,

Thanks for reply.

Our requirement is to check whether client device support indic/Devanagari(hindi,marathi,tamil) font or not.
Can we detect this with wurfl library.

Thanks,
Ashish Parande

sriram

Postby sriram » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:30 am

Hi Ashish,

WURFL will tell you (via the xhtml_preferred_charset capability) if a specific device supports UTF-8 encoding. However, we do not currently have a capability to check if a device supports a specific UTF-8 script(like Hebrew or Indic) or not. However, we are constantly on the lookout for new features/capabilities to add to WURFL and we may have something for you in the future.

Thanks and cheers!
Sriram Sridharan