Issue in Micromax Canvas 4 A210 (wurfl is not working on thi

Ask... and you may receive!
vivek.agrawal

Issue in Micromax Canvas 4 A210 (wurfl is not working on thi

Postby vivek.agrawal » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:34 am

Hi WURFL Team,
We have checked user agent of Micromax Canvas4 A210 as given below:
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.2.1; en-in; micromax A210 Build/JOP40D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30
and its showing Capabilities:
is_tablet: false
pointing_method: touchscreen
resolution_width: 320
resolution_height: 480

And if we remove term "Micromax" from user agent then is detects as Tablet device as user agent given below:
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.2.1; en-in; A210 Build/JOP40D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30
and its capabilities:
is_tablet: true
pointing_method: touchscreen
resolution_width: 1280
resolution_height: 800

it is detecting properly as a tablet device not a mobile. So how you can say that both the user agents are same that's why wurfl is not working on mircomax canvas4 A210 mobile phone

Please update your database so that wurfl can work on micromax canvas4.

Thanks & Regards
Dharmendra

sriram

Re: Issue in Micromax Canvas 4 A210 (wurfl is not working on

Postby sriram » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:23 am

Hi Dharmendra,

The Micromax User-Agent(UA) from your post appears to be corrupted. Micromax UAs usually contain the 'M' in Micromax capitalized. We are also unable to find any instances of the UA from your post in our data.

Here's an example UA from Micromax A210 running on Android 4.2:

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.2.1; en-in; Micromax A210 Build/JOP40D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30
As you can see here, this correctly formed UA is being detected properly.

If you have this device with you, please visit this page on the Micromax A210 that you are having this issue with and we will take a look.

Please also note that removing parts of a User-Agent string is a bad idea since many devices share model names. For example, when you removed the word 'micromax' from the UA you posted, it resembled a UA from the Acer Iconia Tab A210, which is the reason why it was detected as a tablet.

Thanks,
Sriram Sridharan

vivek.agrawal

Postby vivek.agrawal » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:38 am

You don't understand the concern. then why your team member has replied that micromax a210 and acer iconia tab a210 bot have same useragent string that's why wurfl data base is not identify the correct device. This is the reason on micromax a210 wurfl is not working.

I am pasting the mail content which has been replied by scientia mobile:
Mail Subject: WURFL is not working on some properties of Indiamart from Micromax canvas 4
Mail Body replied from scientia mobile:

Elliot Fehr <elliot@scientiamobile.com>
11/5/14
to me, wurfldb
Dharmendra,

Unfortunately, the User Agent in question is also used for the Acer Iconia Tab A210 and therefore it is not possible to differentiate between the two devices using purely the User Agent. The useragent string screenshot taken from mircomax a210 phone {Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.2.1; A210 Build/JOP40D) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/38.0.2125.114 Mobile Safari/537.36}. image given below:
Inline image 1

Now, what is your answer and how to detect correct device. You can also check from micromax a210 phone and update the database.

The Micromax User-Agent(UA) from your post appears to be corrupted.
##### Which is bad idea, what i have found from phone i have written here.

Regards
Dharmendra

sriram

Postby sriram » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:54 am

Hi Dharmendra,

I'm not sure why you think that Elliot's email response and my forum post response to your second User-Agent are to the contrary. Let me start from scratch to make sure I'm being extremely clear:

There are two User-Agents(UAs) that you've supplied:
#1.

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.2.1; en-in; micromax A210 Build/JOP40D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30
#2.

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.2.1; en-in; A210 Build/JOP40D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30
The first one is from your from your forum post here and the second one is from the previously mentioned forum post and from your email correspondence with our support staff(as quoted here).

The first and the second User-Agents are considered to be completely separate by WURFL and so, I will attempt to address your issues on a per User-Agent basis.

The first user-agent is not being resolved properly because the UA contains the word "micromax" completely in lower case. In our experience, when Micromax UAs contain the brand name, they describe it as "Micromax" and not as "micromax". In addition to this, we are unable to find any instances of a UA containing the phrase "micromax A210" in our logs. This leads me to believe that the first UA is either corrupted has been tampered with. This is the reason we are not adding this UA to WURFL.

The second User-Agent is being resolved as a Acer Iconia Tab A210 simply because it looks like a UA that would be sent by that tablet. Unfortunately, some manufacturers use a model name and a UA string that is similar to that of another product and it is not within our control. While the second User-Agent may have been sent by the Micromax device, the UA strongly resembles the UA that an Acer Iconia Tab A210 sends. This is the reason why the send UA is being detected as a Acer Iconia Tab A210 as opposed to a Micromax A210.

Micromax A210, from what we have observed, sends a UA that looks like this:

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.2.1; en-in; Micromax A210 Build/JOP40D) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/537.36
As can be seen here, WURFL already detects the Micromax A210 with the correct UA just fine.

If you have the Micromax A210 device with you, and are able to provide us the device information by visiting this link, we can quickly validate and see if the first and second UAs are indeed sent by the Micromax A210 device and attempt to find a differentiating factor that will aid in their detection.

I hope this makes sense.

Thank you,
Sriram Sridharan

vivek.agrawal

Postby vivek.agrawal » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:34 pm

I have checked with Mircomax A210 mobile phone and clearly returning useragent string without Micromax in string. I have provided both the links for screenshot taken from Micromax A210 phone. You can check here and please provide the solution if possible. Screenshot of useragent string: http://imgur.com/CWUd7K3 and screenshot from db.scientiamobile.com/h : http://imgur.com/Ca78FQ0

Regards
Dharmendra

sriram

Postby sriram » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:04 am

Hi Dharmendra,

Thank you for sending us the device headers. Since the UAs for the Micromax A210 and Acer Iconia Tab A210 are similar and do not show any noticeable difference in the HTTP headers, WURFL is currently unable to differentiate between the devices. Our team will keep you informed if any additional information surfaces.

Thanks again,
Sriram Sridharan