I am investigating use of Tera-WURFL PHP api as a comprehensive browser detection solution. I am very impressed with the range of features and mobile devices that are stored and the data that can be parsed back. So impressed that I find it rather absurd that there isn't a single mote about desktop browser capabilities. I have used the latest web browser patch, verified that it is updating the database correctly. But this apparently only provides a 'conclusive match' for an otherwise undetected desktop browser UA string.
I would like to acquire a commercial license and use Tera-WURFL to detect browsers, versions, operating systems and such and store them to track what our customer base is using to view which products and link it to other usage statistics. We have the budget for the licenses, and my understanding of the xml schema so far leads me to believe we could maintain our own patch of the desktop browsers we are interested in. But having to devote ongoing developer resources to the maintenance of this file seems like a deal breaker. At the very least, I would expect the desktop browsers (Firefox, IE, Chrome, Opera, Safari and Konqueror at the least -- also, these are the browsers currently included with the generic match web_browsers_patch.xml) to have the following data parse about them:
- Intelligible unique identifier
- Actual user agent string (instead of DO_NOT_MATCH
- A clear indication that they are not a mobile browser (e.g. 'product_info' => 'mobile_browser' => false)
- Device OS (e.g. Windows, Linux etc.)
- OS version number (e.g. NT 6.1: WOW64 (Win7 64bit))
- Browser family (possibly stored in 'brand_name' or ' model_name'
- Browser version number ('mobile_browser_version' seems like the best matched place in the current return schema, but a misnomer)
- Release date would be nice to have