Post-processing - WURFL in SQL?

Are you absolutely, positively sure that your question does not fit anywhere else?
Gneen

Post-processing - WURFL in SQL?

Postby Gneen » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:02 pm

I'd like to use the WURFL database as a reference for examining the User Agent strings that accumulate in my HTTPAccess logs. The application is non-real-time, looking at many thousands of different UA strings with the goal of identifying the make/model and other attributes of any that are deemed to be mobile User Agents. My matching logic however, is SQL based so the XML version of the tables is cumbersome at best.

The WURFL data tables seem to offer an ideal reference. In the past I've converted the XML of similar tables into delimited files (like one line per unique device UA) and then used this table to match against my UA data ... the result being an assessment of each one of my thousands of new daily UA strings suitable for roll-up into readable reports

So: the question: Is there a record-based version of the WURFL information that I could use to load up a database table?

I'm kinda thinking this MUST have been done before, or even that the behind-the-scenes underpinnings of the XML must reside in a data table somewhere. I'm not married to "free" and would be amenable to a discussion about how this might best be accomplished ... hoping to hear from the gurus!

ADVthanksANCE
=Fred

sm_support2

Re: Post-processing - WURFL in SQL?

Postby sm_support2 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:54 am

Hi Fred,

you cannot create derivative work of the wurfl.xml data, unless you are a commercial licensee.

Anyway, what you suggest seems like a lot of (unnecessary) work that wouldn't work the way you expect (you would be missing all the logic introduced by the API). I suggest you use the standard API instead to process your data.

Thanks