Understanding why Adobe AIR 27 user-agent is detected as feature phone.

I have this HTTP request, I expected this, but WURFL is returning that. Please provide enough data to reproduce the problem.
kjatin

Understanding why Adobe AIR 27 user-agent is detected as feature phone.

Postby kjatin » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:01 am

The user agent mentioned below is getting detected as a feature phone. However AdobeAIR 27 was released very recently (http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/air.html) and this seems to be based on a smartphone. Can you please clarify why is this detected as a feature phone?
Mozilla/5.0 (Android; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/533.19.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) AdobeAIR/27.0

Also is there a way for me to see what WURFL's latest API would return for a particular UA, just in case I want to see if latest version fixes it. The URL "tools.scientiamobile.com/?user-agent-string=" does not specifically mention anything about smartphone. Is there a different URL that we can use if we have a licensed version of WURFL?

amark

Re: Understanding why Adobe AIR 27 user-agent is detected as feature phone.

Postby amark » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:25 am

Hi Jatin,

You are correct that 1.9.0.0 detects the user agent as a feature phone. This is due to the fact that the following user-agent does not include an android version. Our is_smartphone capability is determined by a number of capabilities with the device os version being one of these factors. Since the following user-agent does not provide an Android version, WURFL 1.9.0.0 provides the os version as 2.2 which does not meet the minimum android device os version that we consider smart. However 1.9.1.0 of our API now assigns user-agents that do not provide an android version as 4.0 which will make the following user agent report true for the is_smartphone capability. My team is currently in the process of updating tools.scientiamobile.com to use our latest API but in the meantime if you would like to see what a particular user agent returns I would suggest downloading the API and running the user agent through it to see the possible values. Also I wanted to mention that since you are a licensed customer you are more than welcome to use our enterprise support page https://scientiamobile.zendesk.com/hc/en-us so that we can better assist you.

Best,
Amar
Mobile Data Analyst
ScientiaMobile

kjatin

Postby kjatin » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:57 am

If I understand correctly, the 1.9.1.0 API version is already available for us to consume,right? And its your just the tool that is using older 1.9.0.0 version.

amark

Postby amark » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:54 am

Hi Jatin,

You are correct that at the time of your initial post. 1.9.1.0 was available to customers while the tools site was still on the old version. However I'm happy to report that the tools.scientiamobile.com is now on the latest API as well. If you would like to be e-mailed when a new API release is available I encourage to sign up for our news letter below. Also I wanted to inform you that a few of us at ScientiaMobile are interested in your use case and contacted you through e-mail to learn more about how you use WURFL. If you are interested in discussing how to find the best solution using WURFL please feel free to reply to that e-mail thread.

https://www.scientiamobile.com/page/enewsletter

Best,
Amar
Mobile Data Analyst
ScientiaMobile