Tweaking 1.4 DB API to get device rather than capabilities

I have this HTTP request, I expected this, but WURFL is returning that. Please provide enough data to reproduce the problem.
digitalronin

Tweaking 1.4 DB API to get device rather than capabilities

Postby digitalronin » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:57 am

It seems the new 1.4 API has changed focus a bit. Any useragent that contains "UNTRUSTED 1/0" is now being picked recognised via the generic java midlet matcher.

I'm a lot more interested in identifying the underlying physical device, regardless of what software the user is currently browsing with (Java midlet, built-in browser, or whatever).

What would be the best way to tweak the 1.4 DB API to achieve this? At the moment, I'm thinking of adjusting the order and content of the matchers listed in WurlfConstants.php, to put the device-based matchers at the front of the list. But, is there a better way?

Is there a document anywhere that describes the new matching system in more detail (other than reading the source code)?

Regards

David

luca.passani

Re: Tweaking 1.4 DB API to get device rather than capabiliti

Postby luca.passani » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:34 am

Hi David, removing the java midlet matcher from the chain should do the trick (not sure if CatchAll also carrier e reference to UNTRUSTED, it did once).

Anyway, it is not simple to say what device is behind a Midlet, unless the programmer has taken steps to reveal that identity.

Can you mail us (wurfldb@scientiamobile ... ) the offending UA strings? we will consider whether we need to change strategy, but I suspect that someone else may complain for the opposite reason.

Thanks

Luca

kamermans

Postby kamermans » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:07 am

Hi David,

You are both correct, you can safely comment 'JavaMidlet' out in the WurflConstants file, which will remove it from that matcher chain. Any UAs that fall through to the CatchAll may be matched as generic_midp_midlet as well, but this only applies to UAs that would not have matched to begin with.

I would not recommend reordering the matchers - they are in a very specific order, and reordering them could cause serious problems in matching.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
ScientiaMobile

Make sure you check out our WURFL Cloud, WURFL InSight and WURFL InFuze products!

digitalronin

Postby digitalronin » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:02 am

Thanks, guys. I'll give that a try and get back to you.

David