.Net API is returning different result to WURFL_DB

I have this HTTP request, I expected this, but WURFL is returning that. Please provide enough data to reproduce the problem.
plkilroy

.Net API is returning different result to WURFL_DB

Postby plkilroy » Tue May 22, 2012 6:15 am

Hi Im using the new .Net 1.4.0 API and was testing the "is_smarttv" capability. I am returning a different result when testing against the WURFL_DB for UA: Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaE71-1/100.07.57; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413

The UA is for an old Nokia E71, .Net API 1.4.0 returns "is_smarttv" capability true (Acccuracy), WURFL_DB = false (which is correct). Any ideas as to why .Net API is returning different result. Many thanks -P

sm_support2

Re: .Net API is returning different result to WURFL_DB

Postby sm_support2 » Tue May 22, 2012 6:35 am

Hi Pilroy,

what we call the WURFL-DB does not implement any of the standard API. Can you please tell us more about what you are seeing where?

Thanks

plkilroy

Postby plkilroy » Tue May 22, 2012 7:53 pm

Thanx for reply! I got it sorted, not a API issue although I have some other ?'s re new capabilities which I will post in appropriate forum cheers -P

datapharm

Postby datapharm » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:59 am

Hi - can you outline what the issue was with your original query as I think we're having similar problems...

thanks

Alan

plkilroy

Postby plkilroy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:52 pm

Hi Datapharm, the issue i had was a coding error (my end) not a .Net Api problem. Is the issue you are having with detecting the is_smarttv query or the Api in general? As I have a LG Smart tv which gets detected as a wireless device but not as smarttv, I was going to post in Devise detection forum but got working on something else.

I also had an issue copying UA strings directly off IIS (which returned strange results) as per this post; http://www.scientiamobile.com/forum/vie ... f=16&t=182

Good luck _P

datapharm

Postby datapharm » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:22 am

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The issue we've got is perhaps slightly different - we're sending through a GoogleBot User Agent

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; +http://www.google.com/bot.html)

The API is telling us that it is is_wireless=true; which is different than if you use "test device" answer on the scientiamobile homepage. I wondered if there might be some similarity in the coding we'd use but I don't think so now - we'll keep looking!

thanks anyway!

sm_support2

Postby sm_support2 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:22 am

We recently did some updates to the repository to better recognize the Google bot.

While it is not our intention to add full bot/crawler recognition to WURFL (it would be a red-herring, you cannot really tell a bot from the UA string), we are making an exception for obvious Google entries.

Commercial licensees have access to recent WURFL in their customer vault.

Thanks