Detection of WiFi users

I have this HTTP request, I expected this, but WURFL is returning that. Please provide enough data to reproduce the problem.
Ligatus

Detection of WiFi users

Postby Ligatus » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:44 am

Hi all,

is there any possibility to detect users which are using a WiFi connection? And I don't mean the "wifi" capability to detect devices that can access WiFi connections.

If there is no existing capability in WURFL to detect Wifi users, is there any other well known way to do that?

Thanks for you help!

David

kamermans

Re: Detection of WiFi users

Postby kamermans » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:44 am

Hi David,

WURFL does not currently track dynamic runtime information like the current bearer (WiFi, 3G, etc). The only way I can think of off the top of my head is to use carrier detection to figure out if they are on a mobile carrier, and if not, they are probably on WiFi. Carrier detection is usually based on the IP address of the end user.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
ScientiaMobile

Make sure you check out our WURFL Cloud, WURFL InSight and WURFL InFuze products!

Ligatus

Postby Ligatus » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:17 am

Hi Steve,

thanks for your reply! I already got the information to identify WiFi users by the carrier, but I hoped that there's a easier way to do it ;)

Problem is that most carriers are using different IP-ranges. And these IP-ranges are not clearly named with a mobile tag. So it's not possible to identify the IP-ranges which a carrier is using for it's mobile business.

Do you have any experience with that?

Regards
David

kamermans

Postby kamermans » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:46 am

Hi David,

I (we) do have experience with that, but at this time we don't have anything we can share. Anyway, I certainly see where your coming from, and I wouldn't rule out the possibility that we will have a solution for you in 2013 ;)
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
ScientiaMobile

Make sure you check out our WURFL Cloud, WURFL InSight and WURFL InFuze products!

hferradj

Postby hferradj » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:39 am

Hi,

This is a very old thread, but I would like to know if a solution is available now?

Thank you.

Elliotfehr

Postby Elliotfehr » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:21 pm

Hello,

We are still exploring adding this as an added feature to the WURFL API, however we do not currently have this as an option..

Thank you,

Elliot