iPhone detection problems

I have this HTTP request, I expected this, but WURFL is returning that. Please provide enough data to reproduce the problem.
Ligatus

iPhone detection problems

Postby Ligatus » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:27 am

Hey there,

today I detected the problem, that all iPhones seem to be detected with the model_name "iPhone", without any information about the version.

Within our adserver GUI I can target "Apple A1429 iPhone 5" as handset, but then I don't receive any campaign on my iPhone5. The logfilfe detects this phone only with the model_name "iPhone".

Does anybody else have this problem, too?

Best, David

sriram

Re: iPhone detection problems

Postby sriram » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:44 am

Hi David,

Thank you for your forum post. Apple has made a decision to not expose any hardware information of their devices to their User Agents[UA]. You can see this for yourself here. The UA belongs to an iPhone on iOS version 6.1 but does not disclose any sort of information about the underlying device hardware.

This is why WURFL detects the OS version of the iOS device, rather than the hardware model.

I hope this answers your question.

Cheers!
Sriram Sridharan

Ligatus

Postby Ligatus » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:57 am

Hi Sriram,

thanks for your quick response and your help!

Ok, I understand. This answer doesn't make me happy but i think I have to accept it ;) Is there any reason why the wurfl.xml still contains the different iPhone versions?

I detected the same problem for the iOS 6.0. Regarding to your answer it should be detectable but I don't see any campaign which is targeted on iPhone OS 6.0.

THX in advance!

Best, David

sriram

Postby sriram » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:03 am

Is there any reason why the wurfl.xml still contains the different iPhone versions?
A WURFL.xml file should contain one WURFL ID per iOS version and some sub-WURFL IDs for each primary WURFL ID. This differs from other devices like Android smartphones, for example, where the WURFL ID are on a per device/hardware model basis.

Cheers!
Last edited by sriram on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for clarity
Sriram Sridharan