Detecting iPhone 3GS

I have this HTTP request, I expected this, but WURFL is returning that. Please provide enough data to reproduce the problem.
ebuyer

Detecting iPhone 3GS

Postby ebuyer » Tue May 28, 2013 6:51 am

Hi,

I'm in the situatiuon where I need to be able to detect and handle the Apple iPhone 3GS, 3G and the original iPhone and serve different content for each. Having had a look at the capabilities available, I am aware that the 'model_name' for any iPhone will simply return "an iPhone", which is not very helpful for my situation.

I've also looked into filtering by OS version to weed out the older versions. However, the newest verison of iOS that the 3GS can support is 6.1.3, which also happens to be the same limit as the 4 and 4S, so I can't differentiate between the devices this way either.

So, my question is - am I missing something obvious? Is there a way for me to detect the first gen iPhone, the iPhone 3 and the iPhone 3GS using WURFL cloud, or am I limited due to the way Apple has built the user agent for these devices (and as such, how the API interprets them)?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Dan

sriram

Re: Detecting iPhone 3GS

Postby sriram » Tue May 28, 2013 8:12 am

Hi Dan,

Your assumption is correct. Apple has, rather unfortunately, hidden the underlying device information from their User Agents[UAs]. This makes it difficult, if not impossible, to accurately detect the device information from the UA.

We continuously work on solutions to address issues like this but we don't have any information for you at this time.

Cheers!
Sriram Sridharan

ebuyer

Re: Detecting iPhone 3GS

Postby ebuyer » Tue May 28, 2013 8:22 am

Thanks a lot for your reply! Hopefully there will come a time when this issue is non-existant.

Cheers,

Dan