Not getting mobile_browser_version back from cloud services

I have this HTTP request, I expected this, but WURFL is returning that. Please provide enough data to reproduce the problem.
chum63

Not getting mobile_browser_version back from cloud services

Postby chum63 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:22 pm

Hi - I have just noticed whilst testing that I am not getting the mobile_browser_version back. Get the mobile_browser back OK. I have it set-up as cababilty.

Any ideas?

sm_support2

Re: Not getting mobile_browser_version back from cloud servi

Postby sm_support2 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:02 pm

Can you post a code snippet or something that we can use to reproduce the issue?

Thanks

chum63

Postby chum63 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:47 am

Here is the WURFL in-house code:

Code: Select all

$requestingDevice->getCapability('device_os') . ":" .
                      		       $requestingDevice->getCapability('device_os_version') . "/" .
                      		       $requestingDevice->getCapability('brand_name') . ":" .
                      		       $requestingDevice->getCapability('model_name') . ":" .
                      		       $requestingDevice->getCapability('mobile_browser') . ":" .
                      		       $requestingDevice->getCapability('mobile_browser_version') . ":" .
		                           $requestingDevice->getCapability('marketing_name')
Here is the WURFL Cloud based code:

$client->getDeviceCapability('brand_name') . ":" .
                      		       $client->getDeviceCapability('model_name') . ":" .
                      		       $client->getDeviceCapability('marketing_name') . " / " .
                      		       $client->getDeviceCapability('device_os') . ":" .
                      		       $client->getDeviceCapability('device_os_version') . " / " .
                      		       $client->getDeviceCapability('mobile_browser') . ":" .
                      		       $client->getDeviceCapability('mobile_browser_version') . " [ " .
                      		       $client->getDeviceCapability('is_mobile') . "]" 
I noticed that there are similar posts about the mobile version not be provided due the to difficulty in it being accurate so not sure if that is the issue or whether it is an old post and not relevant any more.

You can see that I am pulling the other data OK, so not sure there is anything wrong with the code and the parameter 'mobile_browser_version' seems to be OK. And it is one of my capabilities for my API key.

Hope this helps, but not getting any browser release info from the cloud or when using the local library.

Cheers, Chris.

sriram

Postby sriram » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:54 am

Hi Chris,

Do you have a sample User-Agent set that will produce the result you see?

FYI, not all device IDs will have the "mobile_browser_version" capability populated. A notable example is Android User-Agents where the stock browser app is typically updated via OS updates and "mobile_browser_version" = "device_os_version".

Thanks and cheers!
Sriram Sridharan

chum63

Postby chum63 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:57 am

Here is example output from the local WURFL API and the headers that are being passed through:

Android:4.0/Samsung:GT-S7562:Android Webkit::Galaxy S Duos

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-gb; GT-S7562 Build/IMM76I) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30

Android:4.1/Samsung:GT-N7100:Android Webkit::Galaxy Note II

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.1; en-gb; GT-N7100 Build/JRO03C) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30

Android:4.2/Samsung:Galaxy Nexus:Android Webkit::

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.2.1; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/JOP40D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30

chum63

Postby chum63 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:04 pm

You are right about the Android as it is displaying the same version number as the OS. I have also found some Windows and Iphone examples that seems to have browser version numbers on them. I would swear that on the cloud it was not bringing back any so will try and switch back to cloud and see if that is the case... here are some US if you want to try also on the cloud:
Apple

Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B144 Safari/8536.25

Windows

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; NOKIA; Lumia 710)

BB 10:

Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.10+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.0.9.2372 Mobile Safari/537.10+

sriram

Postby sriram » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:06 pm

Hi Chris,

In that case, the issue is probably because of the reasons I mentioned in my post above. Could you please run these User-Agents on your end and let me know if you see the "mobile_browser_version" capability's results for them?

Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9800; en) AppleWebKit/534.1+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.135 SM Mobile Safari/534.1+
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows Phone 8.0; Trident/6.1; IEMobile/10.0; ARM; Touch; NOKIA; Lumia 920)
SAMSUNG-GT-S8500/S8500XXJD2 SHP/VPP/R5 Dolfin/2.0 Nextreaming SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.1 configuration/CLDC-1.1 SM

Thanks!

Edit: I see that you have arrived at the same conclusion independently. Regarding the behavior you noticed on the WURFL Cloud, we will try and replicate the issue on our end. Please let us know if it manifests again with those UAs.
Sriram Sridharan

chum63

Postby chum63 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:12 pm

OK - so switched back to the cloud and it is displaying the mobile versions for IOS and Windows and BlackBerry. So I am officially going mad :oops:

Not sure why you do not just send back what is there to be uniform across all devices and if Android sort themselves out you will just start reporting the correct version info? :shock:

Anyway thanks for your help.

sriram

Postby sriram » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:16 pm

Hi Chris,
OK - so switched back to the cloud and it is displaying the mobile versions for IOS and Windows and BlackBerry. So I am officially going mad :oops:
Glad to see that the issue has been resolved.
Not sure why you do not just send back what is there to be uniform across all devices and if Android sort themselves out you will just start reporting the correct version info? :shock:
Thank you for the suggestion. We will definitely look into it.

Cheers!
Sriram Sridharan