SVG image capability

I have this HTTP request, I expected this, but WURFL is returning that. Please provide enough data to reproduce the problem.
plkilroy

SVG image capability

Postby plkilroy » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:44 am

Hi I wanted to know is svgt_1_1 the WURFL capability used for detecting SVG graphic support. Many thanks P

sriram

Re: SVG image capability

Postby sriram » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:50 pm

Hi,

The "svgt_1_1", "svgt_1_1_plus" and "j2me_svgt" capabilities are used for detecting support for SVG Tiny(the scaled-down SVG format for mobile phones). Here is more information about it.

Thanks and Cheers!
Sriram Sridharan

plkilroy

Postby plkilroy » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:23 pm

Thanks! from my (limited) testing I get in different results:

Android 4.0 supports SVG, WURFL svgt_1_1 returns false
IE7 does not support SVG WURFL svgt_1_1 returns true

SVG is becoming a more important capability, how accurate is WURFL in this regard, thnx P

sriram

Postby sriram » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:52 am

Thank you for the heads-up! Our WURFL team is looking into this. I will update you with more information shortly.

Thanks again and cheers!
Sriram Sridharan

sriram

Postby sriram » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:35 pm

Hi,

Our team have completed verifying and updating the "svgt_1_1" capability in WURFL. You should see improved results with the next WURFL.xml snapshot onwards.

Thanks and cheers!
Sriram Sridharan

robertmujica

Postby robertmujica » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:20 pm

Sorry can you clarify if i need to check the following three capabilities to check if a Device supports SVG:

"svgt_1_1" AND "svgt_1_1_plus" AND "j2me_svgt"

Or whether I should apply an OR operator instead ?

Regards
Robert

sm_support2

Postby sm_support2 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:05 pm

Hi there, defining what SVG support means is not obvious. As a standard in mobile it was introduced around 2004/2005, but its support was spotty because of Flash (and Flashlite) predominance. Then Apple made it relevant again when Flash was dropped from the iPhoneOS. To make things more complicated, there may be parts of SVG that are optional (animation for example). In short, a "svg_support" capability would require more qualification or a simple boolean value wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Can you tell us more on what kind of SVG usage you are trying to detect? we are in the process of reviewing capabilities in that area and we can certainly use feedback from people in the field. Thanks.

robertmujica

Postby robertmujica » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:03 am

Hi,

Initially we want to have a simialr "svg" property like the one exposed by Modernizr, for detaiks you can have a look at the their web site: http://modernizr.com/docs/

One last thing by looking at Midernizr-2.6.2.js code it looks like they are validating basic SVG capability by trying to create a SVGRectangle element, see code below:

// Thanks to Erik Dahlstrom
tests['svg'] = function() {
return !!document.createElementNS && !!document.createElementNS(ns.svg, 'svg').createSVGRect;
};

At a later stage we may have a more specific SVG requirement, but this is what we need so far.

Thanks
Robert

sm_support2

Postby sm_support2 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:33 am

Hello Robert, we hear you. We are working on improvement to the framework that will give you access to this kind of information. Please contact us offline and we can schedule a conference call to hear more about your requirement and disclose more of where the WURFL framework is headed.

Thank you