Getting generic_android on android 4.4 tablet device

I have this HTTP request, I expected this, but WURFL is returning that. Please provide enough data to reproduce the problem.
roey.kosovski

Getting generic_android on android 4.4 tablet device

Postby roey.kosovski » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:39 am

Hi

I'm using the wurfl 1.4 .NET API and for some reason for the following user agent :

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; Galaxy Nexus Build/KVT49L) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/34.0.1847.114 Mobile Safari/537.36

I'm getting Generic Android instead of Generic Android 4.4,this UA is a result of replacing the ROM in the tablet but according to some sites it is well known version.

Can you tell me why I'm getting the wrong device id?

sriram

Re: Getting generic_android on android 4.4 tablet device

Postby sriram » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:29 am

Hi Roey,

The issue is two fold. Android 4.4 was never shipped to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, as you can see here (the standard Galaxy Nexus' codename is maguro). As you mentioned the device is probably running a ROM with Android 4.4, which is why a positive detection was not made. We will add this User-Agent to WURFL and it should be detected after the next WURFL.xml snapshot onwards. Additionally, please note that the Galaxy Nexus is a phone and not a tablet.

Regarding the detection of the User-Agent as generic_android as opposed to generic_android_ver4_4, this is because you are running an older WURFL API version (1.4). It does not have the necessary heuristics to classify and detect Android 4.4 User-Agents. I would recommend that you upgrade to the newest API version available to you. For reference, here's the detection of the User-Agent from your post on the newest WURFL API version(without having the User-Agent added to WURFL).

Thanks and cheers!
Sriram Sridharan