High-Accuracy mode

I have this HTTP request, I expected this, but WURFL is returning that. Please provide enough data to reproduce the problem.
roey.kosovski

High-Accuracy mode

Postby roey.kosovski » Thu May 08, 2014 7:01 am

I recently upgraded the .NET API from 1.4 to 1.5 and I have some questions:

1. From the wurfl documentation:
This is useful for installations in which WURFL manages mixed web/mobile HTTP traffic. In High-Accuracy mode, the user agent is processed as in previous versions and ensures the most accurate answer. Setting the match mode is important only if your WURFL installation deals with both web and mobile traffic.

What is the different between “deals with both web and mobile traffic” and “manages mixed web/mobile HTTP traffic”?
I’m using Wurfl only for mobile devices at the moment and desktop are not really important to me but I see that for that UA for example:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_8) AppleWebKit/534.51.22 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1.1 Safari/534.51.22

In 1.4 I get safari_5_0_mac and in 1.5 I get the same in High-Accuracy mode and generic in performance mode, can you please explain?

Elliotfehr

Re: High-Accuracy mode

Postby Elliotfehr » Thu May 08, 2014 8:53 am

Hello,

The main difference between the two modes is in the way that desktop web browsers are detected. In performance mode, most desktop web browsers will be detected as a "generic_web_browser", and no attempt will be made to further identify them. In accuracy mode, WURFL will attempt to match the desktop web browser. So for example, if you are only interested in matching mobile traffic, it is best to run the WURFL API in performance mode.

Thank you,

Elliot

roey.kosovski

Postby roey.kosovski » Thu May 08, 2014 10:02 am

For mobile devices, are there any differences between the 2 modes?

Another question:

I see different results in my unit testing for the following UA:
• Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B329 Safari/8536.25
o Wurfl 1.4 : apple_iphone_ver6_1_subuaucb3k
o Wurfl 1.5 : apple_iphone_ver6_1
• Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; SCH-I535 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30
o Wurfl 1.4 :samsung_gt_i9300_ver1_suban41ver_subu3k9
o Wurfl 1.5 :samsung_gt_i9300_ver1_suban41ver

Do you know what are the reasons for getting different results on the same UA?

Thanks

Elliotfehr

Postby Elliotfehr » Thu May 08, 2014 11:15 am

For mobile devices, WURFL will attempt to match the UA in both performance and accuracy mode. The only results that will vary will be desktop devices.

With 1.5 we did update the logic used to detect devices running UC Web Browser causing the different results. The results you are receiving with 1.5 are the correct results for those User Agents.

Thank you,

Elliot

jjonas

Postby jjonas » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:24 pm

Hi,

I'm evaluating the on site .NET interface here at PointRoll, and I had a couple questions about the differences betwee the accurate and performance settings.

For example for this user string
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/534.24 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/11.0.696.34 Safari/534.24

The Performance setting shows:
Brand as generic web browser OS as Linux x86_64, Advertised Browser as Chrome and Mobile browser Version as blank

The Accuracy setting:
Shows the Brand as Google, but looses the OS -- it identifies it as Desktop. The Advertised Browser is Chrome and the Mobile Version is listed as 11.0, which is better than the performance setting.

I was wondering why it lost the OS ?

Thanks,
Jerry

Elliotfehr

Postby Elliotfehr » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:56 pm

Jerry,

I have just tested the virtual capability `advertised_device_os` and received Linux x86_64 in both accuracy and performance mode.

Are you able to confirm which capability you are using to query for the device OS?

Elliot

jjonas

Postby jjonas » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:27 pm

My code looks like this:
doc.DeviceOS = device.GetCapability("device_os");
doc.AdvertisedOS = device.GetVirtualCapability("advertised_device_os");

var ScientaOS = String.IsNullOrEmpty(doc.DeviceOS) ? doc.AdvertisedOS : doc.DeviceOS;

Looking at it again, its possible DeviceOS is all blank. I'll check that
Thanks,
Jerry