iOS device_os_version 3rd number

I have this HTTP request, I expected this, but WURFL is returning that. Please provide enough data to reproduce the problem.
elrichar

iOS device_os_version 3rd number

Postby elrichar » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:26 am

My customers are noting that sometimes we report down to the third number for the iOS version (e.g. device_os_version = 8.0.2) and other times we do not (e.g. 7.1.2 never shows, just 7.1).

I have thus far responded that Apple doesn't always expose enough information for us to detect that difference, and so when there are only 2 numbers in the version that is because that is all we can figure out. And sometimes there are 3 because there is enough information to know with that precision.

So, my question is, is my description technically correct from your perspective? If not, can we get an enhancement to get down to 3 digits in more cases?

We are not using the cloud version, but we did update our definitions file within the last month. Let me know if you need any more information. Thanks.

sriram

Re: iOS device_os_version 3rd number

Postby sriram » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:52 am

Hi there,

It has always been our policy to detect and report version numbers for iOS down to the second position for standard WURFL capabilities. We sometimes report the third position for an iOS UA if that particular version caused a WURFL capability to change. For example, iOS 8.0 had a file uploading bug which was fixed in iOS 8.0.2. This is why we specifically report iOS 8.0.2 down to the third position.

I would suggest looking at the "advertised_device_os_version" capability, which is a virtual capability. It will do exactly what you are looking for.

Thanks,
Sriram Sridharan

elrichar

Postby elrichar » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:04 am

Thanks for the response. We haven't used the virtual ones before and will have to look in to that - are those available on the non-cloud version as well?

sriram

Postby sriram » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:18 am

Hi,

Virtual Capabilities support was included in version 1.5 for the WURFL Standalone APIs. As long as you use a newer version, you should be good to go.

Thank you,
Sriram Sridharan