IOS Mobile Browser info appears to be incorrect

I have this HTTP request, I expected this, but WURFL is returning that. Please provide enough data to reproduce the problem.
mycrowd_admin

IOS Mobile Browser info appears to be incorrect

Postby mycrowd_admin » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:59 pm

I am using the Ruby client to hit the cloud api.

I have had several users report that no matter what browser they are using on an IPhone or IPad device the browser is always reported as Safari.

I am using the mobile_browser capability to detect this information. I can reproduce it in house using our IOS devices.

Using an IPad Mini running IOS 8.1 and the Chrome Mobile web browser I get the following user agent:

Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 8_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) CriOS/40.0.2214.73 Mobile/12B466 Safari/600.1.4

The API returns the mobile_browser capability as 'Safari' for that string.

I believe the 'CriOS/40.0.2214.73 Mobile' portion should identify the browser as Chrome.

Using the same IPad and the built in Safari browser I get the user agent:

Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 8_1_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12B466 Safari/600.1.4

The string is different and notably missing the 'CriOS/40.0.2214.73 Mobile' portion, but also returns mobile_browser: Safari. In the second case that is correct.

Is this an issue with the API or is there another capability that I should check to get the correct browser?

Thanks.

Elliotfehr

Re: IOS Mobile Browser info appears to be incorrect

Postby Elliotfehr » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:54 pm

Hello,

I would recommend using `advertised_browser` as that will allow you to identify the browser as `Chrome Mobile on iOS`. The `mobile_browser` capability will return Safari since all browsers on iOS are using Apple's Mobile Safari engine.

Thank you,

Elliot

mycrowd_admin

Re: IOS Mobile Browser info appears to be incorrect

Postby mycrowd_admin » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:48 pm

Elliot,
Thanks for the information. I will give that a try.