Kindle Fire - Safari Mac

I have this HTTP request, I expected this, but WURFL is returning that. Please provide enough data to reproduce the problem.
MTempsNH

Kindle Fire - Safari Mac

Postby MTempsNH » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:45 am

I have been testing out your Java API for a future project of mine. I was testing how a new device would be added to the patch file and how that would affect the functionality etc. So I went ahead and added the Kindle Fire Silk enabled user agent string to the patch file:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_3; en-us; Silk/1.1.0-80) AppleWebKit/533.16 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0 Safari/533.16 Silk-Accelerated=true

Everything seemed to work fine until I tried visiting the site using Safari on my Mac - with a user agent string of:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_8; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.21.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.5 Safari/533.21.1

It shows as a Kindle Fire using the newest Java API that I could download (1.3.1.1)

Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks,
-M

kamermans

Re: Kindle Fire - Safari Mac

Postby kamermans » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:59 am

We also noticed the conflict with the Silk user agent on the fire. Unfortunately, it is very similar to a standard Mac OS X Safari user agent, and is difficult to distinguish.

We have left the Kindle Fire Silk UA out of the WURFL for the time being while we come up with a solution.

One thing you can do is to add this entry in your patch file to keep your real Safari browser away from the Silk UA:

Code: Select all

<device user_agent="Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_8; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.21.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.5 Safari/533.21.1" fall_back="safari" id="safari_anti_kindle_fire" />
I'm not sure how effective this will be for Mac OS versions other than 10.6.8, however.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
ScientiaMobile

Make sure you check out our WURFL Cloud, WURFL InSight and WURFL InFuze products!