IAB/ABC International Spiders & Bots List

Questions about ScientiaMobile WURFL InSight
rsmith

IAB/ABC International Spiders & Bots List

Postby rsmith » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:03 pm

Does WURFL make use of the IAB/ABC International Spiders & Bots List to identify bots?

Here are some example of devices and user-agents that WURFL seems to classify wrongly.
device_type, user_agent
-----
apple-iphone,Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A5376e Safari/8536.25 (compatible; Googlebot/2.1; http://www.google.com/bot.html)
apple-iphone,Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 7_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/537.51.1 (KHTML like Gecko) Version/7.0 Mobile/11A465 Safari/9537.53 (compatible; bingbot/2.0; http://www.bing.com/bingbot.htm)
genericwebbrowser,Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; CrystalSemanticsBot http://www.crystalsemantics.com/service ... useragent/)

Elliotfehr

Re: IAB/ABC International Spiders & Bots List

Postby Elliotfehr » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:46 pm

Hello,

Thank you for letting us know. I will pass these User Agents to our device detection team and will let you know as soon as a fix is available.

Thank you,

Elliot

rsmith

Postby rsmith » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:52 pm

Thanks - Those are only a few of the user-agents, we see several more.

Do you use the latest IAB/ABC International Spiders & Bots List to identify bots? If not, can you include that in the API?

Elliotfehr

Postby Elliotfehr » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:53 pm

Hello,

The `is_robot` virtual capability currently looks at several HTTP headers to determine bot traffic, since the User Agent alone can sometimes be deceiving for some bot traffic. I will have to check with the data analytics team in regards to the inclusion of the IAB Spiders & Bots list and will also let you know the response.

In the meantime, would you mind providing any other User Agents that you are having difficulty detecting?

Thank you,

Elliot

Elliotfehr

Postby Elliotfehr » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:56 pm

Hello,

While these User Agents will return the ID of the device, they should return true for `is_robot`. Are you able to confirm whether or not this is the case for you as well?

Thank you,

Elliot

masaruta4at

Postby masaruta4at » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:40 am

johannes.kunze@gfk.com

Postby johannes.kunze@gfk.com » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:57 am

Hi,

any information about the IAB list being included or not?

And could you also elaborate a little more about the way bots are identified in WURFL currently?

I cannot find any precise Information on that..

Thanks!

xdeath

Postby xdeath » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:37 am

johannes.kunze@gfk.com wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:57 am
Hi,

any information about the IAB list being included or not?

And could you also elaborate a little more about the way bots are identified in WURFL currently?

I cannot find any precise Information on that..

Thanks!
Any luck here? Could anyone please let me know does WURFL identify bots and is in compliance with IAB/ABC international .

Thanks.

aaronp

Postby aaronp » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:53 am

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out. While I do not have any information about the IAB list being included, I can confirm that the value for is_robot is determined through the data in the WURFL data file as well as heuristics in the WURFL API. Also, do note that a member of our team should be reaching out to you directly to address any further questions or concerns you may have.

Thanks,

Aaron

aaronp

Postby aaronp » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:46 pm

Hi,

I wanted to provide you with an update regarding the "IAB/ABC INTERNATIONAL SPIDERS & BOTS LIST". In short, the answer is no.
We derive our logic for detecting bots through our own log analysis.

Hope this helps. Feel free to reach out to us directly at support@scientiamobile.com for any questions or concerns you may have.

Thanks,

Aaron