Device Capabilities testing

Can you add this device?
meric

Device Capabilities testing

Postby meric » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:32 pm

Hi,

Is there a bug in the t.wurlf.com link off of your tools page, or perhaps I just don't know how that page works?

When I click "Perform WURLF Tests" my browser downloads a file. On a desktop this is pretty much a bare bones file with no useful information. From a mobile device, of course, I don't have access to any file the browser downloads.
The tools page only shows resolution_width and 3 others.

I was hoping to get a list of the various capabilities as reported for the device, which would help me isolate some problems I'm having with my WURLF settings on the cloud.

In this case, newer phones are reporting resolution_widths that pretty much approach a desktop.
My Android HTC X+ shows 720px, but maybe this is the new baseline for modern 2+ inch wide phones.

Thanks in Advance,
Eric

sm_support2

Re: Device Capabilities testing

Postby sm_support2 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:38 pm

Eric, apparently the installation of a certain module on one of our servers changed the Apache/PHP configuration in a way we weren't expecting and disabled the PHP engine.

We fixed it. Thank you for the heads up.

We have plans in terms of test suite. The one you see today is probably not very helpful.

Anyway, please post about specific issues you are encountering and we will do our best to help

Thanks

sriram

Postby sriram » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:43 pm

Hi Eric,

To add to the earlier post, I'm assuming your phone is a HTC One X+. In that case, it does have a 720x1280 resolution.

Cheers!
Sriram Sridharan

meric

Postby meric » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:56 am

Thanks for getting the page back up. It's working now.

However, if I select Display from the WURLF Test Suite, I see Resolution Width, and clicking that link gives me a maximum width of 352 px, not 720 as the product literature for the HTC One+ states.

In fact, the 352px is a *better representation* of the device since the bar at 352px fills the devices screen. Whatever is doing the test stops at that bar. Will this be the new device width in a capabilities test, I hope so. I'm not sure where, or how, the 720 width serves anyone in the physical world?

Thanks
Eric

meric

Postby meric » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:36 am

Just a quick note that my device shows up with physical_screen_width of 34, which can't be correct.

It has a device ID of htc_one_x_plus_ver1_suban41chrome

The user agent string is:
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.1.1; HTC One X+ Build/JRO03C) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.166 Mobile Safari/535.19

sm_support2

Postby sm_support2 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:37 am

Hi Eric, the tests at t.wurfl.com is really old stuff from an XHTML world that is becoming less and less relevant.

Anyway, I think I understand what is causing confusion: the viewport.

Please read this article to start understanding what the problem is and keep in mind that using an XHTML MIME type is like using viewport width=device-width (i.e. most devices will 'normalize' the screen on 320 virtual pixels)

http://www.quirksmode.org/blog/archives ... s_not.html

btw, max_image_width may be the capability you are looking for.

Thanks