WURFL Load on Shared Web Host

General question about two step analysis, matchers and other general API questions
John Greg

WURFL Load on Shared Web Host

Postby John Greg » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:59 am

(Please feel free to move this post to another section, or to improve the Subject Title, if that will make it more beneficial to other users:)
-----My website is on a popular Web Host in Japan. This is a shared-hosting server, not a dedicated server. The specifications of the Web Host seem to be good (PHP = Version 5.3.5. And CGI, PERL, SSI, MySQL, .htaccess, etc. are all well supported.)
-----In their license terms, they do warn about excessive CGI usage. The rule is that a single CGI/PHP process may not last longer than 30 seconds. If so your account will be temporarily shutdown. You might also be barred from further CGI usage. Obviously they are concerned about getting a heavy load on their CPUs, or anything that would negatively effect other websites that are sharing the servers.
-----I'm pretty sure this Web Host is using the best components & server technology available. Am I going to be safe running Tera-WURFL with my website? Will the PHP API inclusion, accessing database, building capability arrays, etc. all happen comfortably within 30 seconds?
-----If I begin to get fairly heavy traffic to my site, will Tera-WURFL still work safely on this shared host? Are there any cautions, or precautions to be aware of?
-----I imagine that Tera-WURFL (compared to some other methods of User Agent detection) might actually lighten the load on a server, by avoiding some repeated User Agent lookups. Is that so?
-----Am I right to assume that after the WURFL API runs once on this server, that the User Agent capability information will actually remain cached indefinitely----as long as the server does not shutdown? Thanks for any replies to these questions!

kamermans

Re: WURFL Load on Shared Web Host

Postby kamermans » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:08 pm

If you clear the cached devices before updating the WURFL data, even fairly slow servers will take much less than 30 seconds to reload. Our production servers usually take about 7 seconds to load the WURFL with no cached devices. Your best bet is to clear the device cache before updating the WURFL.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
ScientiaMobile

Make sure you check out our WURFL Cloud, WURFL InSight and WURFL InFuze products!

John Greg

Re: WURFL Load on Shared Web Host

Postby John Greg » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:38 am

Thank you, that's good news!
J. Greg