Updating snapshots without updating the API

General question about two step analysis, matchers and other general API questions
GlynnPhillips

Updating snapshots without updating the API

Postby GlynnPhillips » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:53 am

Hi

I spoke with Steve Kamerman yesterday about automating the update of snapshots and if this will ever cause any conflict when not updating the API. Steve told me that updating the snapshots will never cause any conflicts with the API unless its a cause where you have a new API and an older snapshot. So automating the update of weekly snapshots shouldn't cause us any problems and if we miss an API update it wont cause any problems. We are currently using the Java API.

Can someone please just confirm this for me and point me at some documentation which states this? We just need to reassure everyone this is the cause before automating it.

Thanks
Glynn

Elliotfehr

Re: Updating snapshots without updating the API

Postby Elliotfehr » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:47 am

Glynn,

I can absolutely confirm that setting up automatic downloads of the weekly snapshot will not cause any problems with your implementations of our API. The updated versions of the .xml file are backwards compatible with previous versions of the API, but the opposite is not true. When updating the API, you must download the latest .xml snapshot in conjunction.

This certainly raises a good point and we will certainly add this to the FAQ section of our website. In the meantime, I will refer you to read more here.

Thank you,

Elliot

GlynnPhillips

Re: Updating snapshots without updating the API

Postby GlynnPhillips » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:08 am

Hi Elliot

Thats great, thanks for just clarifying that. We will go ahead and automate the updating of snapshots as soon as possible.

Glynn