MatchType Enum Documentation?

duffman4evr

MatchType Enum Documentation?

Postby duffman4evr » Mon May 14, 2012 1:34 pm

I'm trying to figure out where I can see the documentation for the MatchType enum. I did some tests on data and have made the following assumptions:

catchAll <--- this is bad, means WURFL didn't have a match for the user agent.
conclusive=1778 <--- Mobile device, good match?
exact=417 <---- Mobile stuff, even better match?
highperformance <---- This means it was a desktop hit (and WURFL is using some of its high performance shortcuts on lookup time).
recovery=68 <--- Don't know what this means yet.

Are my assumptions correct? I'm very interested in what recovery means, for the most part. Does anyone know?

luca.passani

Re: MatchType Enum Documentation?

Postby luca.passani » Mon May 14, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi, you are getting a few things wrong:

> catchAll <--- this is bad, means WURFL didn't have a match for the user agent.

absolutely not. This means that WURFL does not implement any kind of special strategy to match a given UA string. This could be because the UA string structure is very regular. So, your inference is not correct (assuming the match is conclusive, of course. CatchAll recovery means that no match was found.

> conclusive=1778 <--- Mobile device, good match?

good match. No exact match was found, but something really close to it was.

> exact=417 <---- Mobile stuff, even better match?

exact user-agent string has been found (give or take some normalization of the UA string)

> highperformance <---- This means it was a desktop hit (and WURFL is using some of its high
> performance shortcuts on lookup time).

correc. Not all desktops are recognized here. The tricky ones may still require Matcher involvement.

> recovery=68 <--- Don't know what this means yet.

this means that the UA was not in WURFL and WURFL had to fall-back on a generic match (Android 2.3, Windows Phone 7.5, etc...)

Luca

kamermans

Re: MatchType Enum Documentation?

Postby kamermans » Mon May 14, 2012 3:38 pm

Here's a quick summary:

Levels of Match Accuracy
  • exact - The device was matched exactly
  • conclusive - The device was matched to a high degree of accuracy
  • recovery - The device was not matched to a high degree of accuracy, and the closest device was returned (normally generic, like generic_android_ver4_0)
Match Information
  • catchAll - The device was not matched in its assigned handler/matcher (like AndroidHandler), or it doesn't have a specific handler. This can still yield a conclusive match, so it's not inherently negative
  • highperformance - The API is in High Performance mode, and this device was determined to be a desktop browser. No attempt to further identify the device was made
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
ScientiaMobile

Make sure you check out our WURFL Cloud, WURFL InSight and WURFL InFuze products!