Does PHP API use the WURFL Cloud

Bruze

Does PHP API use the WURFL Cloud

Postby Bruze » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:55 pm

Hi, I'm a relatively new use to Scientamobile's cloud service.

I signed up last month to use the cloud service and have been using it with a java. I configured it with my API key and it runs my pages fine, all is good.

I decided to cross over and try this all in PHP. So I went over to the site and downloaded the PHP API 1.5 (not the TERA-WURFL Database version, the PHP API). I followed instructions and got this up and working, but at no time did it request anything like my API key, or anything else that I needed to configure in the previous case. I'm also getting a lot more information out of this then I got with the WURFL cloud.

So this leads me to the question: is this even using the WURFL Cloud? Or is it building an xml/json-style file system that serves the same function as a WURFL database? It seems like it might be since the first execution took a very long time. That being said, if that was the case, how will the local files get updated as new files come out? The cloud gets automatically updated so requests for new devices aren't a problem, even if I'm getting less information. What's the situation for the PHP API? How would that get updated? Would you have to download the next version, or would there be a call you could make to update the data?

If there's no way around this and it sounds problematic... is there a way for PHP to contact my account on the WURFL cloud per-call using the API key? I thought PHP API would do this, but it doesn't seem to be what's going on.

sm_support2

Re: Does PHP API use the WURFL Cloud

Postby sm_support2 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:27 pm

Hi there,

The OnSite API (previously called Standalone API) is designed to have no dependencies on any Cloud component. Of course you (the programmer) are responsible for updating the database with a newer wurfl.xml file which you will find in your customer vault each week (that's assuming you are a commercial licensee).

Please also observe that the open-source version comes as AGPL, which demands that you open source your complete code base. The solution to that requirement is to license the API commercially.

More information is available here: http://www.scientiamobile.com/support

Thanks

Edit: As of 7/25/2016 ScientiaMobile no longer uses AGPL or any other Open Source licensing. Please refer to http://www.scientiamobile.com/page/get- ... elease-1-8 for more information or contact sales

kamermans

Re: Does PHP API use the WURFL Cloud

Postby kamermans » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:40 pm

What you are looking for is called the WURFL Cloud Client for PHP, and it is available in the My Account area of our site.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
ScientiaMobile

Make sure you check out our WURFL Cloud, WURFL InSight and WURFL InFuze products!