Latest WURFL.XML file

Are you absolutely, positively sure that your question does not fit anywhere else?
Dan55

Latest WURFL.XML file

Postby Dan55 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:16 pm

I have installed WURFL on my personal web site.
I am planning on using it so my family can see the pictures I take of them and the grand kids.
I downloaded the latest zip file a week ago.

I have the Galaxy S4 from Verizon. I have tested my phone and it gives me weird numbers for the display info. (128 x 92).
The user agent reports 'SAMSUNG SCH-I545...'.
My sons phone, 'HTC ONE', says it is not a mobile device. It comes from T-Mobile.
I exported the MySQL data base and looked for either of the strings for our phone. Nether was there.

Looking in the the XML file, the version line says '<ver>www.wurflpro.com - 2011-04-24 12:07:53</ver>'.

I know you release updates to the XML file periodically. From the string above, was the XML file last released April 2011?
If so, when will the next be available? Or is there a place I can just get the XML file separately?

I have read about the cloud and vaults. If I get the free cloud package, will I also get weekly updates in my vault?

Thank You
Dan

sriram

Re: Latest WURFL.XML file

Postby sriram » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:52 pm

Hi Dan,

WURFL does detect both the Samsung Galaxy S4 from Verizon and the HTC One perfectly. Let me ask you a few questions so that we can figure out what's going on.

The newest publicly version of the WURFL.xml file was released in October 2013, so you are definitely running an old WURFL.xml file and possibly an older version of the WURFL API. What version and language of the WURFL API are you on? The current version of the WURFL API is 1.5 and if you are on a older version, I would update to a newer one from here. Please also download and use the newest version of the WURFL.xml file from here.

I have read about the cloud and vaults. If I get the free cloud package, will I also get weekly updates in my vault?
The device data used by the WURFL Cloud accounts are periodically refreshed by us and does not require you to keep updating the WURFL.xml file on your end. Weekly WURFL.xml updates in the customer vault are only available for commercial licensees, for use with our OnSite and InFuze APIs. There is more information available here.

Cheers and thank you for using WURFL!
Sriram Sridharan

Dan55

Postby Dan55 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:44 am

Hi Sriram,
I do apologize. In my previous post, I said WURFL, and it should have been Tera-WURFL.

I went to the place for the code you linked me to from above. Of the two PHP versions, one is for Tera-WURFL.
I downloaded that along with the data from your link. When I unzipped it, there were no files starting with ‘TeraWurfl..’, only ‘Wurfl…’.

Thinking I made a mistake, I downloaded the other PHP version. The same thing. Both directory structures were the same.

I went back and looked at the old version I had downloaded for TeraWurfl. This is the one I was having problems with.
The file structure was different from what I had just downloaded. In the old version there were files that started with ‘TeraWurfl..’.
There was also a data directory and an admin directory.

According to the ‘Getting Started’ documentation (below the Tera-Wurfl download link), it says to modify the TeraWurflConfig.php file.
It also says to find the xml file in the data directory. Nether is there.

If this is the new way to do things with Tera-Wurfl, the documentation needs to be changed. Or is there another place to get Tera-Wurfl?
Thanks Dan

Dan55

Postby Dan55 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:06 am

Hi Sriram,
Again my apologies. I could not fathom things being this far wrong.
I went back to the download page and started to look at all the possibilities to download.

I had download the wurfl-php-1.5.0.2.zip. I needed to download the wurfl-dbapi-1.5.0.1.zip.
It did have the TereWurfl… files and the data subdirectory.

Therefore, hopefully my last question is what is the functional difference between these two downloads?
And do i still need both? Or do I delete the first one?

Thanks Dan

sriram

Postby sriram » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:28 am

Hi Dan,

The WURFL API type you are looking for is the DBAPI aka Tera-WURFL. You can go ahead and delete the PHP API. To re-iterate, this is the WURFL API you need.

Cheers!
Sriram Sridharan

Dan55

Postby Dan55 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:54 am

Thanks for your help. I should be able to get it going now.
Dan

sriram

Postby sriram » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:03 am

Hi Dan,

Awesome! Do let us know if you have any additional questions.

Cheers!
Sriram Sridharan

Dan55

Postby Dan55 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:18 pm

Hi Sriram,
I have it working, almost (I think). When I test my Samsung Galaxy S4 with my program, it is identified as generic android with a resolution of 320 x 240.
I decided to test it on two of your sites. I am getting 2 different results.
When I went to http://www.tera-wurfl.com/m/, the user agent I got from my Samsung Galaxy S4 is:
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.3; en-us; SCH-I545 Build/JSS15J) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.5 Chrome/28.0.1500.94 Mobile Safari/537.36

The 2 attached images are screen captures from the above web site. This is the only way to get it so I could show you the output.
The second image shows the top lines from the page. It also shows the generic android info. The first image shows the resolution info. This is wrong and is what came from my web site as well.

The second site was tools.scientiamobile.com.
When I enter the above user_agent string,
it identifies my phone as a Samsung GT-I9500 (Galaxy S4) which is the fall_back for the samsung. This is correct. The resolution_width shows 1080 and the height is 1920 which is also correct.

The user agent in the current xml file is:
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.2.2; en-us; SAMSUNG SCH-I545 Build/JDQ39) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Chrome/18.0.1025.308 Mobile Safari/535.19

We had an update about two weeks ago. That is why the #'s are different. I will submit this new string to be incorporated in the next xml file.

Why did'nt the first site, and my site as well, not give me good results?
and an odd question. What would happen to my XML file if I changed the Samsung #’s to match my phone and rebuilt the database? Would it identify my phone correctly? ;) (no reason why I would do it, but for testing purposes, would it work?)

Thanks Dan
Attachments
sc 4.png
here is a screen capture from my Galaxy S4 showing the display height ...
sc 4.png (186.32 KiB) Viewed 48620 times
sc 1-1.png
here is a screen capture from my Galaxy S4 of the top line.
sc 1-1.png (216.21 KiB) Viewed 48620 times

sriram

Postby sriram » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:40 am

Hi Dan,

The User-Agent(UA) for the Verizon Galaxy S4 on Android 4.3 was added to WURFL on the 13th of November. It is highly probable that the WURFL.xml file you are on does not have this UA.

As far as the discrepancy in detection on our websites is concerned, the tools.scientiamobile.com uses the latest WURFL.xml data while other websites may not. I have reported this to our technical staff but for your reference, tools.scientiamobile.com should be your go-to site to check WURFL's detection.

Regarding your second question, a simpler way for you to detect this device until you get a more recent WURFL update, would be to use a patch file. A patch file supplements the WURFL.xml file and is a safer way to add the detection you want, without modifying the WURFL.xml file. In fact, I've attached a patch file for you that should work right out of the box. You'll just need to place it in your data directory(assuming you're using Tera-WURFL), enable patch files in TeraWurflConfig and do a "Update database from local file" so that the patch file is also picked up. Just remember to remove and disable it when you update to a WURFL.xml newer than 13th of November.

Thanks and cheers!
Attachments
patch.xml
Patch file that adds Android 4.3 version of the Verizon Samsung S4
(455 Bytes) Downloaded 1263 times
Sriram Sridharan

Dan55

Postby Dan55 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:11 pm

Thank you. all is well now.
Dan