Unable To Connect

Questions about the WURFL Cloud service.
datarecall

Unable To Connect

Postby datarecall » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:15 pm

Hello,

Curl is trying to connect to : http://api.wurflcloud.com/v1/json/ however it is unable to connect, I can not access this via a browser either.

Any ideas?

Ekariallp

Re: Unable To Connect

Postby Ekariallp » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:27 pm

It's not just you, seems like there's an outage.

None of http://api.wurflcloud.com, http://us.wurflcloud.com, or even http://50.57.185.227 are returning for me.

Elliotfehr

Postby Elliotfehr » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:35 pm

Let me check in with our engineering team right now to see what is causing the outage.

Thank you,
Elliot

gamefly_dev

Postby gamefly_dev » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:18 pm

We are experiencing connection problems as well as of 9:30AM Pacific Time.

Elliotfehr

Postby Elliotfehr » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:21 pm

There did seem to be a temporary outage, however it is back up and running at the moment and I have been able to connect from my end. Are you able to confirm that everything is working for you as well?

Thank you,
Elliot

Ekariallp

Postby Ekariallp » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:34 pm

Yep, looks like it's back.

datarecall

Postby datarecall » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:50 pm

Now that I have seen this I am trying to make my php class do a try catch on the $this->detectDevice(); any thoughts on how to implement it so the entire program does not crash on curl failure ?

kamermans

Postby kamermans » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:32 pm

Indeed, you can use a try/catch:

Code: Select all

try {
        // Create a WURFL Cloud Config
        $config = new Config();

// Set your API Key here
        $config->api_key = 'xxxxxx:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx';

// Create a WURFL Cloud Client
        $client = new Client($config, new Null());

// Detect the visitor's device
        $client->detectDevice();

} catch (Exception $e) {
        // Show any errors
        echo "Error: ".$e->getMessage();
}
Instead of showing the error message, you may want to have your application assume the visiting device is a desktop or something similar.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
ScientiaMobile

Make sure you check out our WURFL Cloud, WURFL InSight and WURFL InFuze products!

kamermans

Postby kamermans » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:42 pm

Today at approximately 12:00pm EST, the US region went down for approximately 1 hour, with service being restored just after 1:00pm EST. The reason for the outage was that our primary load balancer experienced a hardware failure, and the active-standby load balancer failed to acquire the primary IP address during the failure. We were able to manually change over the IP address to the secondary server, which restored service, and have redirected all traffic for the region to an alternate load balancer via DNS until we can be sure that the cause of the original failure is ascertained.

Please accept our sincere apologies for this outage. This is the first instance in which the WURFL Cloud system has been unavailable in the 2 years of operation. This primary load-balancer failure scenario has been specifically tested in the past, and has already occurred once in our UK region, but the redundancy worked properly and took over the load transparently. We will re-double our efforts to ensure the fail-over systems we have in place are working properly at all times.

Thank you for using the WURFL Cloud service. Your patience and understanding is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
COO / VP of Operations
ScientiaMobile
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
ScientiaMobile

Make sure you check out our WURFL Cloud, WURFL InSight and WURFL InFuze products!