Unable to distinguish between iPhone 6 and 6s models

I have this HTTP request, I expected this, but WURFL is returning that. Please provide enough data to reproduce the problem.
jkornhaus

Unable to distinguish between iPhone 6 and 6s models

Postby jkornhaus » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:44 am

I've just started to evaluate WURFL Cloud, and am finding it cannot distinguish between some iPhone models.

Comparing results for iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone 6s Plus, both send a similar User Agent string (as expected):

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.3
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 9_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) CriOS/49.0.2623.73 Mobile/13E234 Safari/601.1.46

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.2.1
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 9_2_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/601.1.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/9.0 Mobile/13D15 Safari/601.1

Both requests return identical lists of WURFL Candidates:
[{"ops_range":[140,250],"js_check_functs":["_window.screen.height==480","_window.devicePixelRatio==2"],"capabilities":{"is_mobile":true,"complete_device_name":"Apple iPhone 4S","form_factor":"Smartphone"}},
{"ops_range":[250,640],"js_check_functs":["_window.screen.height==568","_window.devicePixelRatio==2"],"capabilities":{"is_mobile":true,"complete_device_name":"Apple iPhone 5","form_factor":"Smartphone"}},
{"ops_range":null,"js_check_functs":["(_window.screen.height==736 || _window.screen.height==667)","_window.devicePixelRatio==3"],"capabilities":{"is_mobile":true,"complete_device_name":"Apple iPhone 6 Plus","form_factor":"Smartphone"}},
{"ops_range":[640,1600],"js_check_functs":["_window.screen.height==568","_window.devicePixelRatio==2"],"capabilities":{"is_mobile":true,"complete_device_name":"Apple iPhone 5S","form_factor":"Smartphone"}},
{"ops_range":null,"js_check_functs":["_window.screen.height==667","_window.devicePixelRatio==2"],"capabilities":{"is_mobile":true,"complete_device_name":"Apple iPhone 6","form_factor":"Smartphone"}}]

I note that iPhone 6s models are not included in this list. My tests show an average Ops value of 2190 for iPhone 6s models and 1100 for iPhone 6, so it should be possible to find appropriate values for "ops_range" to differentiate between the models.

I also see that iPhone 5c is not included in the WURFL Candidates.Is it not possible to identify this model?

kamermans

Re: Unable to distinguish between iPhone 6 and 6s models

Postby kamermans » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:37 pm

Hi jkornhaus,

This code is dynamically generated, so the list of candidates changes depending on the incoming request. We are able to reproduce the problem here and will get to the root of the problem ASAP and report back when the fix has been deployed.
Thanks,

Steve Kamerman
ScientiaMobile

Make sure you check out our WURFL Cloud, WURFL InSight and WURFL InFuze products!