Incorrect form_factor for iPhone user agent

I have this HTTP request, I expected this, but WURFL is returning that. Please provide enough data to reproduce the problem.
Viant

Incorrect form_factor for iPhone user agent

Postby Viant » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:31 pm

Hi,

I have a following iPhone user agent - "Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone 6_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/7E18 Grindr/1.8.5 (iPhone3,1/6.1)".

When I checked this on wurfl page , it identifies it as Apple iPhone; however form_factor is returned as Desktop along with is_mobile = false, which looks incorrect.

Can you please take a look?

aaronp

Re: Incorrect form_factor for iPhone user agent

Postby aaronp » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:53 pm

Hi Viant,

Thanks for letting us know. To clarify, the tools.scientiamobile.com page you've referenced will show the capabilities of your current browser if an iPhone user agent is passed.

If you run the same user agent through the WURFL API, form_factor will return as Feature Phone. Do note that iPhones will not be identified as a Smartphone if the iOS version is missing from the user agent string (which is the case here), or if the iOS version is too old to be considered a Smartphone by our definition (minimum iOS version to be considered a smartphone is iOS 7).

I have gone ahead and created a separate ticket thread for you so please check your email and feel free to respond with any further questions or concerns there!

Thanks,

Aaron